Posted in diary | 8 Comments »
This morning I received my shiny new official permission to draw breath and metabolize on the territory of the Slovak Republic, an extension of my temporary residence permit valid for another 18 months. Hooray, one more bureaucratic battle won!
The visa (pictured) is affixed as a sticker inside the US passport that I will soon surrender.
- Obtain notarized, certified copies of my passport and visa, for use in lieu of the real things during the period prior to obtaining a stateless person’s travel document, or having my passport sent back to be with a rejection of my renunciation (early next week)
- Execute and have notarized a blanket power of attorney authorizing a friend to perform all legal acts in my name (early next, same visit to the same notary)
- Visit the US Embassy here in Bratislava, sign and swear to the various documents renouncing my US citizenship (mid- to late next week)
- Wait for the US State Department to respond, either with a rejection notice or with a Certificate of Loss of Nationality of the United States, US State Dept. DS-4083
- Assuming I receive the certificate, apply at the same Slovak police agency that issued my new visa for the Travel Document and for a replacement visa sticker
And I’ll keep y’all posted…