New visa

19 November 2008 by Mike Gogulski
Posted in diary | 8 Comments »

This morning I received my shiny new official permission to draw breath and metabolize on the territory of the Slovak Republic, an extension of my temporary residence permit valid for another 18 months. Hooray, one more bureaucratic battle won!

The visa (pictured) is affixed as a sticker inside the US passport that I will soon surrender.

My permission to draw breath and metabolize on the territory of the Slovak Republic

My permission to draw breath and metabolize on the territory of the Slovak Republic

Next steps:

  • Obtain notarized, certified copies of my passport and visa, for use in lieu of the real things during the period prior to obtaining a stateless person’s travel document, or having my passport sent back to be with a rejection of my renunciation (early next week)
  • Execute and have notarized a blanket power of attorney authorizing a friend to perform all legal acts in my name (early next, same visit to the same notary)
  • Visit the US Embassy here in Bratislava, sign and swear to the various documents renouncing my US citizenship (mid- to late next week)
  • Wait for the US State Department to respond, either with a rejection notice or with a Certificate of Loss of Nationality of the United States, US State Dept. DS-4083
  • Assuming I receive the certificate, apply at the same Slovak police agency that issued my new visa for the Travel Document and for a replacement visa sticker

And I’ll keep y’all posted…

  1. 8 Responses to “New visa”

  2. By Peter Kovar on 19 November 2008

    sounds like fun to me. and if you’re finally stateless, what are the Slovak authoroties gonna do about it? I mean, once they won’t have a place where to put this lovely sticker? 🙂

  3. By John Hirbour on 20 November 2008

    Congrats on a step in the right direction! Hopefully “the man” won’t delay your paperwork after this!

  4. By Mike Gogulski on 20 November 2008

    Peter: I’ll apply for a replacement sticker to be affixed to the stateless person’s travel document. Hopefully the answer to the “what are they going to do about it?” question is “nothing”.

    John: Thanks. We shall see!

  5. By Seth on 20 November 2008

    Very exciting. Are you stressing about what your next move will be if they reject your renunciation?

  6. By Mike Gogulski on 20 November 2008

    Seth: Not really. Assuming there is not some insurmountable (without a court battle) obstacle put forward, I’ll just do whatever is required to remove the objection, and then re-submit.

  7. By Sam on 31 May 2009

    That is not visa. It is a reidence permit. That’s a difference maybe in the US you don’t get the difference because you have immigrant visa and entry visa but in Slovakia there entry (Schengen) visa (which Americans don’t need) and you have residence permit. The one you posted is a residence permit:-).

  8. By Mike Gogulski on 31 May 2009

    @Sam: *shrug* Note that the distinction isn’t terribly relevant, and that I’m not an American any more.

    Whatever it is legally, it’s a talisman I can use to stop people pointing guns at me for merely being within certain geographic boundaries.

  1. 1 Trackback(s)

  2. 16 December 2008: Interview - Radio Slovakia International |

    comments rss Comments RSS

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.

  • Categories

  • Archives

  • Core Dogma