Canadian citizenship: you’re stuck with it

22 August 2008 by Mike Gogulski
Posted in people, prison | 44 Comments »

A reader who prefers to remain anonymous wrote to me saying that she is considering renouncing her Canadian citizenship, for reasons similar to my own.

Sorry to inform you, friend, but it’s gonna be a tough road. I refer you to Canada’s Citizenship Act, section II(9)1(a):

Renunciation of citizenship

9. (1) A citizen may, on application, renounce his citizenship if he

(a) is a citizen of a country other than Canada or, if his application is accepted, will become a citizen of a country other than Canada;

(b) is not the subject of a declaration by the Governor in Council made pursuant to section 20;

(c) is not a minor;

(d) is not prevented from understanding the significance of renouncing citizenship by reason of the person having a mental disability; and

(e) does not reside in Canada.

Part of this section, which was enacted in 1975, is intended to conform with the provisions of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness (available at my Renunciant Resources page above), which came into force in 1975 and to which Canada is a State party, specifically Article 7 §1(a):

If the law of a Contracting State permits renunciation of nationality, such renunciation shall not result in loss of nationality unless the person concerned possesses or acquires another nationality.

Or, translated into my own terms:

A slaveowner may transfer ownership of a slave to another slaveowner; manumission is not permitted.

I believe that my correspondent intends to leave Canada at some point, but unless she obtains citizenship someplace else first, Canada will not allow her to sever the bond and become stateless. As far as I know she’s not a citizen elsewhere, so Canada will continue to treat her as its subject no matter how many times she renounces, unless she can show a different passport.

Fortunately, she has some European ancestry in the family tree, and there might even be a living grandparent to provide justification for any of the (disappearing) “reclaiming ancestral citizenship” programs available around the continent.

If that doesn’t work, the only paths available to bailing on Canada are taking up residence someplace else and going through the waiting period for naturalization there, or finding one of the (disappearing) “economic citizenship” programs available around the world. Gonna cost you either way, though.

  1. 44 Responses to “Canadian citizenship: you’re stuck with it”

  2. By DixieFlatline on 23 August 2008

    Wow, isn’t this ironic.

    Not only does the state not allow you to secede from it peacefully, which btw sure puts to rest all of those “If you don’t like it, leave” comments, there is a conspiracy to fight statelessness.

    One would think, if states were such noble and necessary institutions, then surely they would have to restrict membership, not exodus.

  3. By DixieFlatline on 23 August 2008

    I meant to say, they would have to restrict the overwhelming flood of membership applicants, rather than concentrate their energies on preventing deserters.

  4. By on 25 August 2008

    Stockholm Syndrome Sufferer:

    I hate it when people tell disgruntled slaves that they are free to go if they dont like their slavery. As we can see, not even Canada lets you simply “up and leave.”

    You know you are in a prison when there are barriers (physical or otherwise) keeping you inside.

  5. By scineram on 27 August 2008

    Am I missing something? He can leave freely, just remain a citizen.

  6. By smallylerned on 2 September 2008

    Heh, and here I am jumping through hoops to apply for Canadian citizenship. My father was born in Vancouver which makes me eligible.

  7. By Mike Gogulski on 2 September 2008

    scineram: Like me, my correspondent wishes to divorce the state which claims her. Doing so means casting aside her Canadian citizenship.

  8. By Mike Gogulski on 2 September 2008

    I am jumping through hoops to apply for Canadian citizenship.
    When your master says “Jump!”, you must say “How high?”

  9. By Subversive Uncle Frank on 21 March 2010

    Although I admire what you have done Mike, I think the opposite tactic actually grants more personal freedom.

    I think having two or more passports is more useful than having none.

    The documented ancestry citizenship programs and the documented economic citizenship programs are disappearing rapidly as you claim.

    However, there are MANY opportunities for utilizing the less documented citizenship programs.

    You see, you aren’t alone. And the U.S. is also doing the opposite. They are denying passports to those who are on various lists that they are creating. They label these lists “Back on child support”, “Unpaid taxes”, “Holder of a prior secret or top secret security clearance”, “Law enforcement hold”, etc.

    But they are just government maintained lists. Most don’t have much correlation with reality. I have helped many people get a second or third passport after the U.S. randomly declined them a passport. Many countries are aware of the problem and have back doors for granting passports for those excaping the U.S.

    If you ever get tired of the difficulties of using your stateless person travel document, let me know. I’ll fix you up with a passport or two that will allow you a little more freedom.

  10. By Mike Gogulski on 21 March 2010

    Hi Frank,

    Becoming stateless wasn’t even my goal, it was a side-effect. I wanted an official, legal divorce from the (insert negative adjectives here) American regime. For whatever that was or is worth, I got it.

    I’ll keep you in mind definitely, though I’ll probably find myself later this year applying for Slovak citizenship. This will be testing what I perceive to be a loophole in the Slovak nationality law, namely that a stateless person continuously legally resident for 3 years can become a citizen, whereas people with citizenship are subject to more like an 8-year wait to apply. Story to follow, of course 🙂

  11. By getting out on 26 April 2010

    Thanks for posting all of this information. I am leaving the USA for South America. I have already spent a year in Buenos Aires and now I am back here getting my affairs in order (and in the nick of time it seems). I hope anyone who can SEE what is happening will do similar and live to thrive and not just survive.

  12. By alex on 23 June 2010

    wouldn’t call it a loophole. the right to a nationality is extolled by the UN declarations up as a human right and countries have pledged to try diminish the numbers of stateless people, by integrating them or not exluding some groups of people.

    canada being all gung-ho about human rights and non discrimination and everything that’s good and nice, it’s not surprising it’s harder to renounce theirs.

    america’s procedure’s relative simplicity, i would say, stems still from a certain “fuck that” and paradoxically, freedom-loving culture (which certainly is fading fast). would be interesting to compile a list of modalities to renounce for every country.


  13. By Seth on 28 June 2010

    This is good to know. At one point I had considered trading in my US global tax-cattle yoke for a more localized Canadian one, but it looks like I’ll have to reconsider now.

  14. By Darin on 6 September 2010

    I am wondering if there’s some confusion over citizenship versus residency? We’re trying to find professional tax and emigration advice to get us out of here more or less intact (tax wise) and it is impossible. Accountants seem to have a relationship with CRA that is more important than finding ways for us to manage our issue. We know getting residency in a country with a tax treaty with Canada with a lower withholding rate allows us to exit our RSPs at that rate. Getting residency, and making sure CRA can’t just ignore it with their usual law breaking high handed ways (you don’t believe me? Read some CRA abuse stories.) Anyway. Citizenship does not need to be renounced just to establish residency elsewhere. In fact you continue to be a citizen of Canada. As Alex Doulis explains it “residents” cost govts money (i.e. Medicare which expires after you been gone 182 days) whereas “citizenship” doesn’t get you squat. Your CPP is bought and paid for. The thing is your CPP will be clawed back at tax time in Canada if you managed to get a reasonable RRSP set aside. Why? You make too much money so all those years, that 4% CPP. They’re going to get it back; and staying here means poverty and cat food on week old bread. What a great future for the (formerly) middle class eh??</strong)

  15. By Dee Dee on 8 January 2011

    And what if the Slovak Republic refuses to grant you citizenship? What would you do then?

    The are two issues that need to be clarified:
    How were you relieved of your US citizenship before you could demonstrate that you would be granted citizenship of another country?

    Why do you think that the Slovak Republic would want to grant you citizenship? On what legal ground?

  16. By Edward Ringwald on 8 January 2011

    Dee Dee,

    To clarify the question that one can renounce United States citizenship before acquiring the citizenship of another country, here are a few things to keep in mind (perhaps Mike can chime in to clear up any technical issues that may come up):

    1. The 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness, which establishes the fact that renunciation of one’s citizenship is conditional on the person already having another citizenship.

    2. Canada as well as Australia and a handful of nations are signatories to the 1961 Convention. This is why Canada will not let its citizens renounce citizenship if the renunciation will result in statelessness. In other words, as part of a Canadian’s application for renunciation of Canadian citizenship you have to prove to the consular officer that you got another citizenship or your application is denied.

    3. The United States, on the other hand, is not a signatory to the 1961 Convention. The State Department will let any American – native born or naturalized – exercise his or her right to renounce American citizenship as long as it is done outside the United States and even if it will result in the American citizen going stateless.

    In other words, an American desiring to renounce American citizenship just has to appear at an American embassy or consulate and make his or her declaration known to the consul, pay a $450 fee (as of April 2010) and submit required paperwork. Once the paperwork is approved by the powers to be at the State Department in Washington, confirmation is by way of the approved Certificate of Loss of Nationality of the United States.

    For more technical information on renunciation of American citizenship, you may want to take a look at the US State Department’s Foreign Affairs Manual, especially 7 FAM 1200, which deals with loss and restoration of American citizenship.

  17. By Ronin on 11 January 2011

    Maybe I missed something, but what’s so bad about being Canadian? I’m both Canadian and American, and I think being Canadian is far better. I’m just biding my time before renouncing US citizenship. Is there an ideal citizenship?

  18. By Mike Gogulski on 12 January 2011

    @Ronin: This was a bit of research on behalf of someone who was considering renouncing Canadian citizenship and becoming stateless.

    Reasons to not want to be a Canadian citizen can be found at, among other places.

  19. By Deke on 13 January 2011

    Ronin…. to renounce American citizenship you walk into an Embassey of the US of A and produce like $450.00 and sign the form…NOT SO with Canada. How could you miss that little detail??? Rich Americans everywhere are renouncing for tax purposes… but Canada doesn’t recognize a Canadian doing that.
    IN fact, since Alex Doulis pointed out Holland and Ireland as countries of favourable residency to get your pensions OUT of Canaduh, Canada Revenue AGency worked overtime to renegotiate the Tax Treaties so that the withholding of your monies is at Canadian levsl 25%…you are screwed by this paragon of whatever..Canada is sucking the middle class blind with will get worse and for those of us who wish to get the christ out, the State has laughed and giggled and stuck it’s fascist finger in our hole.
    My pension, and my investments should be awarded to me without strings if I choose to live in Costa Rica, as I do. Or maybe Florida…except Americans are so much like us with worse problems, that I coud not live there just to be warm ..America is falling..I wish to be somewheres else actully .
    Thank you.

  20. By Ronin on 16 January 2011

    @Mike, I totally get that your post was informational from its inception. I understand that the person seems intent on becoming stateless as well. So, if someone wants to do that, there is a way, though time-consuming:obtain citizenship from a nation NOT a signatory of the 1961 Convention(such as US), renounce Canadian citizenship, then renounce the newer one. Granted, that’s a pain, but an option.
    @Deke, I get what you’re saying about money-grubbing government, they ALL suck. The question is which sucks the least. Uncle Sam is way too big. Maybe Canada isn’t perfect, but it’s still far better than USA. Note: I live in Asia as a non-citizen.
    Why not become a citizen where you are?

  21. By Deke on 18 January 2011

    Hey Ronin – I let my rant get in the way of a good story! What I mean is Canada has shut all the doors to getting your money out. Withholding taxes on RRSPs are going to be 25% whether you are here or elsewhere. In fact “elsewhere” is relative, because if the country you have chosen has a tax treaty with Canada,chances are they’ve already negotiated that RRSP and Pension withholding.[Holland;Ireland]. If they do NOT have a tax treaty (say, for example Costa Rica?) then Canada simply says “Ooops! We have to tax you at Canadian withholding rates!Too bad.”. I am applying for residency status in Costa Rica as we speak. At the very least, losing the fuel oil bills, losing the property tax bill, and maybe losing the car would be a bonus to me of $12,000 Cdn a year. THousands of ex-pats live in CR quite happily. I am working on joining them.
    THANK you.
    Good forum.

  22. By Ronin on 19 January 2011

    Deke, right on! I’ve been living as an expat for over ten years now, and have no connections to either of my nationalities other than passport. I’ve given up any monies from US Social INSecurity anyway, so I’m on my own in that respect. I’m also eyeing a tropical retirement destination, but in Asia. I can teach languages indefinitely.
    Best of luck to you!

  23. By Ronin on 19 January 2011

    @Deke, right on! I’ve been living as an expat for over ten years now, and have no connections to either of my nationalities other than passport. I’ve given up any monies from US Social INSecurity anyway, so I’m on my own in that respect. I’m also eyeing a tropical retirement destination, but in Asia. I can teach languages indefinitely.
    Best of luck to you!

  24. By YouWannaKillUs?? on 10 February 2011

    What it looks like here is a bunch of 5 year olds having a tantrum to their parents… “Running away from home/you’ll never see me again!!” Why exactly? Because you have to pay taxes? What, you owe an extra $100 to the CRA?
    Remember, while you may not have had a choice to be born in this country and automatically given citizenship (Dear God, how aweful!!), you and most likely your parents were given healthcare (or it was available) prior to, during and after childbirth. Immunizations, dietary aide and care advice for new parents, as well as an education system was provided to you (free of charge, no less) by Fedrally and Provincially mandated programs. Retirement will suck, thats true, I got freedom 85 to look forward to (If I live that long) but welcome to earth!
    Whether desirable or not, you ARE an asset, one that they have invested in, protected and kept healthy. They put you above the 80 percentile that you would survive infancy and into adulthood. Why should they let you go so easily?
    As for the earlier link on certain atrocities, the true culprit was the Catholic church. Would it really be worth entering an exodus over some ghosts you had no control over, since it happened before our grandparents were born?

    Why did the civilized nations try to eliminate statehood? Could it be possible it was to, in the future, bestow responsibility on an individuals Governement in the event of war, kidnapping, fraud, human trafficking,natural disasters, refugee/displaced persons, famin etc. wherever these “stateless” people happen to pop up, and can be identified and (where on merit) justly assisted? I think you need to look inward and figure out whats really making you angry and disenfranchised with your situation, because there are several more productive ways to go about it. Have children. Buy a nice car (if can get away from your bicycle). Go on more vacations! Practice safe sex, because living in, or fantasizing of living in new land(s) certainly has romantic appeal, and getting knocked up isn’t always fun, especially if abortion has to be considered (whch BTW, may very well be restrictive, or downright ILLEGAL in your new “statelless” adopted country). I know I probably sound like I could be onstage with Stewie at Woodstock ( which I’m certain most ppl on this blog view as offensive/boycott) but I’ve restled with my own Canadian citizenship and tax issues, as well as its attached (also free of charge) economic injustices. I found its actually more enjoyable to play along, reap the benefits! So many ppl on this earth would KILL just to have the options you got. Don’t like income tax? Grow some and start your own business, incorporated.
    Best bet, pay off your Visa and get a $3000 max limit. Period. When you get phone solicited, make like drugs and JUST SAY NO! Or use a celebrity soundboard to take the call, like I do.

  25. By Mike Gogulski on 10 February 2011

    @YouWanna: Please contact me privately. Whatever drugs you’re on, I want some.

  26. By Deke on 11 February 2011

    Actually I understand “youwanna”. He is one of those Liberals in Canada who would have the “State” do it all. The nanny care state. While the “State” is “doing it all”, they are clawing the flesh off the backs (wait for it) of the Middle Class, not the rich burghers of Switzerland offshore asset fame!! It is not amazing, it is amusing. This particular rant captivates me, because he is, youwanna is…the “other”. The Trudeau Statist liberal, who , not being satisfied with ME paying for all those children’s education, now wants me to pay for their diapers etc. whilst NOT at all worried about me standing in a triage line at the local clinic! A person like this cannot be reasoned with. It is a “principle”to him or her. The “State” pays and they therefore require the largest chunk of your Old Age Pension, RRSP and CPP as a tithe. If you moved to Costa Rica, you’d do better. But CRA and “youwanna” don’t wish you (the asset) to go!! He is right about that, the citizen IS an asset- to CRA and government. If the citizen could take their RRSP monies, and have their CPP (which they paid for) delivered to say..Costa Rica, and live in Costa Rica and have their triple “A” health care there, who’d be hurt??? Ahhhh (a)The Taxers and (b)Their lice parasite beneficiaries: the Honourable members of Parliament(and fellow travelers)!!
    Maybe “youwanna” is an EA to a Minister, but more likely a Jack Layton NDPer living in subsidized housing whilst pulling down over $100K a year. go figure.

    At least the Mother Church just ASKED you to contribute.. the State….has GUNS. remember that. Esp if @Youwanna is part of “The STate” !

  27. By YouWannaKillUs?? on 27 February 2011

    Hi Deke. I will aknowlege we’re speaking from 2 sides. I actually never voted for Fiberal or crackpot NDP. I learned long ago the partys, while seeming to have separate agendas, will waste your time and money equally. You speak of grandios and commonly impractical schemes like moving to Costa Rica… 100k salary???? I wish. I’m a Iron worker, make closer to $58k (when I’m not laid off for too long in a given year). I drive a 16 year old car. no there is not any subsidized housing here, I pay $950 a month for a modest 2 bedroom apt with my 20 year old wife who stays at home with our 2 month old son. I’d love for someone to buy my diapers for me but alas.. its my job. And I do it.
    RRSP??? I have my new borns cctc and baby bonus to keep us just out of eviction process. The only thing CRA will get from my retirement I believe right now is my demarrowed bones. Thanks for your cantor and I will accept in advance yours

  28. By The Dave on 3 May 2011

    So clue me in here folks that want to renounce without first finding a new country: Where will you go? What will you do if you can’t find a country that will take you in?

    @Deke It makes sense to tax you when you withdraw money from your RRSP because this is income, earned in Canada, on which you haven’t already paid taxes. Those taxes were owed, but you made a choice to defer payment.

  29. By Deke on 13 May 2011

    Lot of issues The Dave one of which is the “right” of the country (Canada) to keep you in, even if you wish not to be kept. Yes, correct-an RRSP is a tax saving vehicle at entry and taxes must be paid on exit. The question becomes why should withholding be 25%?(Holland and Ireland were like 10% or 15% I believe if Alex Doulis was correct) and once you had residency there, you could “save” some withholdings.
    Now, Canada is a tax haven… except not for Canadians. Some Canadians therefore would like to preserve their wealth, save their expenses, spend less/enjoy more… so moving to another country is the first level. Now, if you get “residency” in another country, say Costa Rica, you have a significant benefit from being able to get on their version of “Medicare”. But you gotta’ be a resident to get it (Sorry ..Labatts beer commercial.)
    Here’s the thing. Canada still wants to collect Canadian level taxes, on all your income, including RRSP and Pensions etc. yet they ARE NO LONGER PAYING FOR YOU once you cut ties.In is a maddening maddening conundrum: If you depart your Province for more than 180 days, YOU lose your MEDICARE! This then is about freeing oneself of the stupid rules like that, climate, the expenses (oil coal propane whatever) the CRA tax jackboots, (steer clear of Amerika too!!) and becoming what they hate=a “resident” of another tax jurisdiction that will NOT tax you on income earned OUT of their Country..only on income earned IN their Retire to CR. Earn no CR income. And peace and happiness shall light your way..and you are on the CAJA (first class health and dental care) nothing compares with their Medical care in CR here in Canada except specialist hospitals! – And in Canada you gotta’ wait here to get it!(more beer commercial)! Months and months of waiting! waiting! and then…you die.
    Talk to my friend Scott Oliver in Costa Rica. He can introduce ya’ to my dentist!! and believe me, I was petty happy with him.

  30. By Deke on 13 May 2011

    My dear friend –YouWannaKillUs?? —
    Now given that I believe your life situation I am blown away. You have carved yourself a life situation that at one level is the backbone of our society. Hard work, scraping by, raising children on the thinnest of resources..this is truly the Canadian “spine” You ask for nothing. Education, health care, human rights tribunals and unions are all permitted and elevate the stark human conditions as one would expect in a strong western democracy. You are me, except 50 years separates us.

    Now you become successful, and contribute to RRSPs and build wealth, become self-employed like my boy, create beautiful decks and family rooms for rich people and get paid for 40 or 45.. you have real money.. you paid your guys, you banked the rest..a shyster stock broker is selling you ELC energy… hellooo..?
    Now you get older. Kids schooled, out, successful..and suddenly you check what Canada demands of your income, from your dividends, your capital gains, your OAS and CPP (which they claw back if you are getting near rich) and you say “Chuck it”. I need a warm place, with the marvels of the world-snakes, cheetas , whatever.. coral reefs… name it.” Now, really what this is all about is extracting yourself from Canada with some of your wealth intact. One method is to gain residency in another country-sever everything here, (drivers license, house, medicare etc.) and get out. Clean. This does not mean you can’t come back!! no no no.. You can actually re-gain residency like Alex Doulis did after he spent years cruisng the Med. Yeah you are right…it probably has more merit for someone older… but you know man, if you have skills, and you and your wife are adventurous..I can tell you I met a Mom and her Hubby and two kids from Calgary who OWN a hotel they built in CR. and they are vibrant and livin’ the life man. It is not for every human to live like some others, but you and your wife and your children could grow up running a tourist lodge on the Packfic Coast of CR..and never want or need for anything again.
    The people I met who aare doin’ it are proof. They were like you and they “blew this pop stand”. and just did it. Me? I am old and I regret not doing it 40 years ago..although I did spend a year at Expo 67 ! and it was the very best year of my life, Montreal ’67.I wish I lived there yet.

  31. By Alexis on 4 October 2011

    If don’t want the Canadian passport. Don’t hold the passport. There is peoples renounce give up Canadian passport. The people are rich having lot money he can gives up the passport at anytime.

    get different country passport.

  32. By B. Anders on 28 December 2011

    Life in Canada has been a truly disgusting experience, particularly for those of us who served in the Canadian Forces and had “expectations” of what citizenship would bring.

    I’ll give my Canadian citizenship away free, as it is worthless.

  33. By Deke on 28 December 2011

    B. Anders, CF – Sad to say if you were wounded or traumatized in a battle zone they are probably dithering and obfuscating anything that could be done for you. The Military Ombudsman is disgusted.

    I believe looking back on the “thread” and the rants herein that the obstacles to a Canadian Citizen wishing to move elsewhere with a significant portion of his “wealth” intact was the issue.

    I served as a Reservist, Mobile Cmd (Army) for a number of years. It was between wars.
    Nothing quite beats the bureaucrats when they’re not tasked by serious war demands when it comes to shorting you on your equipment and pay!!

    But again, my examination of moving from Canada to another land and escaping/avoiding or eliminating Canadian Laws that demand a tax be paid regardless of where I may take up citizenship, or become a resident offend me deeply. My CPP was paid for by me. My RRSP is mine- and income from investments in non-registered accounts is mine! Yet living in Costa Rica, Honduras or the Turks & Caicos Islands, they (CRA) can still hold sway over me their demand that I “file a tax return” makes me a slave to their bidding, even though I am in Provendentiales! (TC) This is just wrong. A person pays their taxes from income, yet when they leave Canada, to go to Sarasota or Ft. lauderdale for more than 182 days…they LOSE their Medicare! Explain that bit of warped filthy reasoning! Actually Alex Doulis did, in his book- A “Citizen” costs governments serious money. a “Resident”, not so much.

    The very essence is this: they do not wish you to be a “citizen of the world” they demand that you be paying taxes somewhere. and they have limited the places where that might be a cause for them to let you alone. There’s no where to run no where to hide, because they and the Government that is directly paid by CRA wishes it so.

    Alex pointed out, a man with investments such as bonds in a tax free zone, who purchases insurance on the world market, who costs his country nothing, should be left alone. In fact he came back to Canada and because he had world wide insurance was moved to the HEAD of the line for surgery! Really. It was in the Nat Post. He had a British or Cyprus Insurer and as a direct result did not have to wait in line like Canadians do. Just amazing. But the story is always, unless you KNOW what you don’t got, you are happy as a clam! right?

  34. By Zach on 19 February 2012

    I know someone in the French Foreign Legion who did this, all he said was “I feel no loyalty the country and if Canada was to go to war with his republic he would fight for the republic. Ended that it did.

  35. By Peter Pan on 13 March 2012

    I have yet to read all of the comments so far in this thread, but instead of fighting to prove that you have the right to renounce citizenship, but rather have the state prove that they did not make you a citizen by way of fraud?

    If in your pleadings you claim that it is your understanding that they created your citizenship through fraudulent means;
    whereas you were never given the choice to be a citizen and;
    whereas the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which Canada is a signatory to, states that EVERYONE is born free and;
    whereas the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights bind all signatory GOVERNMENTS by law to uphold the UDHR and the covenants and;

    and so on and so on. The sections would need to be referenced and evidence attached, but the remedy is clear. You have, as the one bringing the case before the court, stated the facts and evidenced them and left it to the Crown to rebut those facts, which they will not be able to do. Keep in mind they usually hide the remedy to a seemingly unwinnable situation for us in what on the outside looks like a rememdy for them. If fraud is mentioned you can be sure they are actually covering their asses for a fraud they perpetrated on you by limiting their liability within their system. In this instance they say that if citizenship was gained by fraudulent means then the Governor General can renounce your citizenship. While this looks like a threat what it is really doing is limiting the response from a criminal charge of fraud against them to a violation of an act where a remedy is stated so the Criminal Code doesn´t apply… Once you are a non citizen, that´s when you perform a civil prosecution against them for the fraud.

    Another point to use: The ICCPR states that political association is a right not an obligation.
    The UDHR, the ICCPR and the ICESCR provide you with ¨3 witnesses in law¨ as all 3 were signed by the government, so using them properly (reference articles in all 3 for each argument you make) can provide you with an airtight case. You can also find a further witness in their own laws that they are trying to use against you. Ie: CCoC sections 39 and 126.

  36. By Peter Pan on 13 March 2012

    Wait. Scratch that. I just read the preamble and interpretations for the Citizenship Act.

    The term person is never redefined to include Humans so the definition defaults to that in the interpretations act which INCLUDES (notice the S) legal persons (the term includes in law means it excludes all else, where include is open ended).

    So, unless you require that their legal fiction (it was created and is owned by them and is only entrusted to you) remain attached to you (I see no benefit to this) renunciation is not necessary. Just return your birth certificate (collapses the trust) get your CERTIFIED copy of live birth record (Act of Birth in Quebec) and create your own unlimited liability legal person (trust) for you to use. This is also a right guaranteed to you in the UDHR.

  37. By Alexis on 4 April 2012

    Canada Rates Worst on Health-Care Waiting Times Among 7 Countries.

    If you go to hopsital waiting to die.

  38. By Cappy on 18 September 2012

    I have a question:
    My 81 year old mother was born in Windsor in 1931. Taken into Michigan by her Canadian adoptive parents when only 5 months old. Her adoption was not finalized until 1942, in Michigan. She grew up in Michigan (but spent a lot of time in Canada with relatives). Married an American. Although she didn’t want to do it, being married to an American, the mother of an American child (my brother), in 1952, to become an American citizen, she had to denounce her Canadian citizenship-That’s the way things were done back then. There was no choice. No dual citizenship option. She’s told me, although she had to renounce her citizenship to make the US Government happy, she’s always considered herself Canadian. Is there anyway, outside of moving back to Canada, she could get her Canadian citizenship back?

    Thanks for your input.

  39. By Mike Gogulski on 19 September 2012

    @Cappy: I doubt it, but that would be a good question to put to a Canadian immigration lawyer if you can’t do the research yourself.

  40. By sayWah on 6 February 2013

    PeterPan – alright, soooo how does one do this? I’m interested. And, as a question, when one renounces their citizenship what legislation or governmental regulations are they now under. So, for instance, you get a speeding ticket (hypothetical) what happens then as far as Canadian law is concerned.

  41. By kar on 25 April 2013

    any helpful replys welcomed ,I applyed for a leave to remain in the uk visa,im living here over 2 yrs now,i came here on a two yr spouse visa back in 2010 of nov,it exspired dec 2012,i applied in for my visa on oct 31 a month before my visa was up and my passport exspired on 2013 dec 1,so if i follow through with this leave to remain in the uk visa and im granted british citizen ship,Will I be losen my canadian citizen ship and can I ever get it back and what do or will i need to do,replys plss

  42. By Peter on 5 July 2013

    Hello All … As a senior citizen, I am being screwed royaly, as all seniors by LAWS to protect me, or programs, of a country that wants my loyality. I can not be loyal when law is volated and I can not get a hearing. I am turning in my Canadian citizenship. Not paying a fee. just sending ti in witnessed by 2 witnesses as doing so, and bedone with the GD place.

  43. By Axe on 5 January 2014

    Canada is not developed country

  44. By Hans on 26 January 2016

    Life in Canada for me has been something similar to a synthetic concentration camp.

    I hate Canada.

  45. By Ben Lagel on 28 July 2016


    Peter pr PeterPan.

    Are you guys saying we can just send our Canadian birth certificates or passport to someplace i.e. Vital Statistics office and if we have 2 witnesses we can legally renounce?

    You said “CERTIFIED copy of live birth record (Act of Birth in Quebec) and create your own unlimited liability legal person (trust) for you to use. This is also a right guaranteed to you in the UDHR.”

    I already have my Certificate of Live Birth. How would I have my renunciation at an embassy abroad accepted?


    comments rss Comments RSS

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.

  • Categories

  • Archives

  • Core Dogma